Monday, December 28, 2009

5:23 PM

Maybe it doesn't say much for my mental state that I just don't feel that I have much worth writing about, or I don't have time to write about it for a month, and then I feel that a comic filled with angst fits my mood perfectly. Meh.

Anyways (I always giggle in my head when I add the "s" to "anyway." It feels deliciously wicked and probably funny only to me), Wonderman has been talking about New Year's resolutions. I generally avoid them. Not that I think goals aren't wonderful and important. I guess I just think I'm too good to make goals. No, not really. Sheesh. I just . . . . oh I don't know. There's no good excuse, is there? Maybe I feel too lost in my own inadequacies to focus on just a few areas in which to improve? Maybe I my Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder keeps me from focusing on anything at all for very long? Maybe I'm just content to be that lame person that basically wallows in my weaknesses, eating popcorn with parmesan cheese and watching movies while I do it? That's probably it.

My dear Aunt Nina, however, has inspired me. She is going to throw more parties. I could do that. Or something like it. Despite my big smile, I find myself often being dreadfully socially awkward and kind of lonely. I can make social goals, right? I don't have to just lose weight like everyone else?

Conclusion: Goals are very personal and don't have to meet anyone's expectations except my own, thank goodness. Thanks for the reminder, Auntie.

2 comments:

Nina said...

Well, I expect to read here about the wild, dancing on the table top parities you'll be having. (You simply MUST hear Grandma Richards' story of dancing on the table tops -- a story we just heard on Sunday!)

Or beach parties sans biting bugs. Or board (bored) game parties. Or . . . whatever your dervish little mind can come up with. (Yes, Virginia, I did indeed mean to use the word dervish.)

Eva said...

Speaking of social awkwardness, I found myself standing not 2 feet from your lovely sister in the movie ticket mayhem at Jordan Commons on Saturday night and didn't muster the courage to say hello.